Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chicken Chili Verde

Tomatillos, Tomatillos, Tomatillos where have you been all my life?? Maybe I've seen you before but was creeped out by your looks, I mean you are green, have an awkward tomato shape, and are covered in a husk <- I thought only corn had husks?! Boy am I glad I decided to give you a try! This soup certainly highlights the tomatillo and is without a doubt a refreshing summer soup. The ingredients in this soup can be switched up to your liking by omitting the beans and adding a small pasta, or white rice. I also will add sweet summer corn next time I make this <--- which will be very soon! Adapted from http://ourlifeinthekitchen.com/?p=2204



  1. 3 cups cooked chicken ( I used a rotisserie)
  2. 1 lb Tomatillos ( husk removed, cleaned, cut into quarters)
  3. 1 large white onion ( chopped)
  4. 4 cloves of garlic ( minced)
  5. 3 limes ( the juice of two, and one cut up into quarters)
  6. 2 jalapenos ( chopped & seeded unless you like it spicy)
  7. 1 can cannellini beans ( drained and rinsed)
  8. 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
  9. 2 tsp cumin
  10. 1/2 chili powder
  11. 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
  12. olive oil
  13. salt and pepper

Saute the onions on medium in a large pot in olive oil until soft but not brown, add garlic cook another minute, add cooked shredded chicken, tomatillos, jalapenos, chicken stock, rinsed & drained beans, lime juice, cumin, and chili powder, let simmer for 30 - 40 minutes uncovered or until the tomatillos are tender. Add chopped cilantro the last ten minutes of cooking to keep the color and freshness.

I added lime wedges and a couple pinches of fresh cilantro to my soup bowl..

Enjoy :)

No comments: