Friday, August 6, 2010

Shrimp and Corn Chowder



I went to the farmer's market today and they had some beautiful local corn, so I grabbed as many as I could carry in my arms ( not sure why I didn't get a basket, but anyway...) I am actually surprised I still like corn considering it was the only vegetable I ate as a kid and I would like to blame my mother for that! ( sorry Mom ) Sure I was introduced to vegetables, ya know the ones that come in a can.... Canned green beans, Canned Peas, and wait for it......... Canned asparagus, gross!!... No wonder I hated vegetables. The difference between fresh and canned is unbelievable and I did not discover this until early adulthood. I understand that families do not have the time or convenience to have fresh veggies all the time but I think that if you gave a kid some roasted asparagus with Parmesan cheese verse a mushy can of asparagus they would choose (and love) the roasted asparagus. Anyway, don't get me started, don't even get me started, Where was I? Oh yeah, fresh local corn!!! I know its summer and I know that chowders are really heavy but I love this recipe and think you will too. The leeks and fennel add a nice layer of flavor in the chowder. I made my own shrimp stock from the shells but you can use clam juice. I boiled the shrimp in old bay seasoning but think that already cooked shrimp would work great.

Shrimp and Corn Chowder

  1. 5 strips of bacon ( 3 tbsp of bacon drippings reserved)
  2. 2 leeks ( white and light green parts, chopped)
  3. 1 fennel bulb, chopped
  4. 3 tbsp all purpose flour
  5. 8 oz bottle clam juice ( or homemade shrimp stock)
  6. 3 cups whole milk
  7. 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  8. 1 pound of devein uncooked shrimp
  9. 3 ears of fresh corn ( or a 10 oz package of frozen corn)
  10. 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  11. 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  12. 2 tbsp old bay seasoning
  13. 1 tbsp kosher salt
  14. 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

For the shrimp

  1. 1/2 vinegar
  2. 1/2 water
  3. 1 tbsp old bay

Saute the bacon and render the fat. When the bacon is crisp remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. (Reserve 1 tbsp of bacon grease for the corn) Saute the leeks and fennel in the bacon drippings until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the clam juice or shrimp stock, milk, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, stirring occasionally for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, bring to a boil 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup water, and 1tbsp old bay seasoning, add shrimp and cover cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove the shells ( save if you are making shrimp stock) set cooked shrimp aside. If using fresh corn, cut it off the cobb ( use a bunt pan to make it easier) Saute the corn with the reserved tbsp on bacon drippings for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the corn, shrimp, and 1 tbsp old bay seasoning into the chowder and heat through for 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to your liking and top with crumbled bacon.. Serve with a nice crusty French bread and ENJOY! <- i know i did....

1 comment:

Recipe for Delicious said...

I'm glad you found me! This chowder looks wonderful! I always thought corn chowder would be revolting, but I tried it one day and discovered it was fantastic. I bet it's amazing with shrimp! I'm so jealous that you're in culinary school!